Acheter une voiture est toujours un moment très compliqué à gérer. Lorsque l’on est étudiant à l’étranger, c’est pire! Entre la peur de dépenser une grosse somme d’argent et celle de se faire arnaquer cela fait beaucoup. Aujourd’hui quelques astuces que j’ai reçu de la part d’un accro des voitures de ma famille. Comme vous évoluerez dans une environnement 100% américain, les astuces sont en anglais, avec quelques mots techniques traduits lorsque vous passerez votre souris dessus. Bon courage :)
1. Before you see the car or truck
- Always, use your own best judgement. Trust your gut!
- Be ready to say « No thank you, this is not what I’m looking for ».
- Be ready to complete the transaction.
- Check payment, Personal Identification are normal. Sometimes, check for deposit and balance with ‘money order’ from bank. Money Order is equal to cash, but more safe than cash because there is a record of transaction (like a check).
- Plan to see truck/car with a friend. Be safe. Have someone follow you home with your truck, in case there is a problem.
- Do not give bank details.
Vous pouvez également vous rendre sur le site de Carfax, pour connaître les antécédents de la voiture que vous comptez acheter (accidents, vols etc.). Ce service est payant.
2. When you look at the car / truck
- What octane gas? Regular = Great; Premium = expensive.
- How much treadbande de roulement remains on the tirespneus? Using a penny, placing Lincoln’s head upside down, if the tread does not touch his head, the tires need to be replaced.
- Did you buy this truck new? « Yes » -> one owner = Great. « I am the second owner » = 2 owners = Good. « I am the Third owner » = Less than good.
- Who does the repair and maintenance? « The dealerconcessionnaire » = Great. « My mechanic » = Possibly Great; possibly Good. « I do my own maintenance » = Possibly Good; Possibly Bad.
- How much do you pay for gas each week? Gives you an idea for budget.
- Get down on your knees and look at the ground under the truck where it is parked. Is the motor oil on the ground? Are there stains that the owner cannot explain?
- Ask the owner why they bought the truck? Listen to their reply and judge their honesty.
- Ask the owner why they are selling the truck/car? Listen to their reply and judge their honesty.
- Are there disk brakesfreins à disques? Yes, all 4 = Great. Yes, in the front = Good. No = Bad
- Is it a manual transmission? « Yes » = When was clutchembrayage replaced? « Never » = Bad. Never = plan to pay for a clutch, though it may last 1 year.
- (For trucks) Is it a 4 wheel drive4 roues motrices? Do you use the 4 wheel drive? « Yes » = Do you have the truck in deep water, crossing rivers? « Yes » = Did you replace transfer case and differential oil? « Yes » = when was last maintenance?
- Is it an automatic? « Yes » = check the transmission oil after you drive.
- Can I drive the car? « Yes, here are the keys and I will come with you » = Great. « Yes, here are the keys and I need some ID so that you will bring the car back ». Anything other than Yes = Bad.
3. Before the drive
- Open the hoodcapot and check the motor oil dipstick. Read the gauge. Full = Great. Needs oil = Does this truck engine burn oil? Yes = Bad.
- What is the color of the oil? Translucent = Great. Black = When was the last oil change? Listen to their reply and judge their honesty.
- Ask owner if they need to add oil from time to time. « No » = Great. « Sometimes » = Not Great, but may last 1 year. « Yes » = Bad.
- Start the truck and listen to the motor. Ask the owner about any sounds you think are not good.
- When the motor is operating, walk completely around the truck. Ask the owner about any smells you think are not good.
Bien sûr, hormis ces astuces, n’oubliez pas de tester vos phares avant/arrières et feux stop, vos clignotants, la radio, les fenêtres, les portes etc.
4. During the drive
- Turn off the radio/music, and listen to the noise the truck generates. No loud, bumping, ugly noises. Ask the owner about any sounds you think are not good.
- In a safe place, drive 30mph and then press hard on the brakes. Great = Truck stops quickly = Great = the does not pull to one side.
- On the freeway, drive 70mph. Great = steering wheel does not shake. Great = no loud noises. Great = steering wheel does not move to one side.
5. After the drive
- Leave the truck motor operating, walk completely around the truck. Ask about sounds or smells you think are not good.
- While the truck motor is operating, open the hood and look at the moteurengine. Ask about sounds or smells you think are not good.
- Pull out the transmission oil dipstick and read the gauge. If it reads Full = Great. If it does not read Full, ask owner if he adds transmission oil -> If yes = Bad
Vous avez peut d’oublier tout ça? Pas de problème, vous pouvez télécharger la version à imprimer en cliquant sur le bouton ci-dessous :D
Bon courage et bonne route :)